Great buildings rely upon both cutting-edge technology and materials that stand up to the test of time, so the A+Product Awards celebrate both. The following award categories speak to the design solutions that matter most to architects, including their most trusted products and the newest industry innovations. Categories are divided into three main groups:
Celebrate the world’s best products across every vertical, each of which are pivotal in creating amazing architecture and inspiring spaces. The product type categories include categories for building systems, façades, finishes, flooring, kitchen & bath, furnishings, lighting and openings. Submissions in these categories must be available to market by January 1, 2022 to qualify.
Dedicated to products that excel in a specialized area, leading the field in their classification. There are awards for sustainable design, innovation, new materials, designer collaboration, flexible design, unbuilt (prototype) design and branding. Submissions in these categories must be available to market by January 1, 2022 to qualify, with the exception of the Conceptual Design category.
Celebrate the world’s best products and materials designed for use in a specific architectural setting. Both realized and conceptual products of all types are eligible for submission. There are awards for the best products in residential, commercial, health, education, hospitality, cultural, transportation and landscape projects. There is no market launch date requirement for these categories.
Products can be entered into multiple categories across all 3 of the above groups.
The Product Type Categories
- Smart Building – Products with integrated technological elements, including smart devices. Entries can include smart home systems, lighting and sensors, AV equipment, home security, energy systems and building envelope technologies.
- Building Systems – Products relating to the inner workings of a building, including but not limited to HVAC systems, elevators, escalators, ducts, photovoltaics, water recycling systems and M&E systems.
- Building Envelopes, Cladding, & Roofing – Structural and non-structural exterior wall products, cladding, roofing, and rainscreen panels made from any material, including but not limited to metal, wood, stone, masonry, concrete, terracotta, fiber cement and plastics.
- Glass & Glazing – All architectural, low-e, birdsafe and switchable/dynamic glass, as well as framing systems, supports and fittings for curtain walls, structural glazing, storefronts and interior walls.
- Commercial Walls & Wall Coverings – Wall coverings for commercial applications, including but not limited to wall panels and panel systems, acoustic panels and tiles, green or living walls, wallpaper, paints and coatings.
- Residential Walls & Wall Coverings – Wall coverings for residential applications, including but not limited to wallpaper, paints, panels and panel systems, green or living walls, coatings and acoustical coverings.
- Hard Surfacing – All finishes that utilize hard materials, including solid surface products, metal, wood, plastics, resins and recycled materials.
- Acoustics – All types of architectural acoustic panels and sound insulating products, including freestanding partitions, baffles, panels integrated into walls and ceilings, furniture with sound-absorbing properties, and decorative art-based panels.
- Ceilings – Includes whole ceiling systems, ceiling tiles and clouds for either commercial or residential settings.
- Tiles and Stone - NEW – All small and large format tiles and slabs, including ceramic, porcelain, stone and other materials. Interior and exterior products for use on floors, walls, façades and roofs are eligible.
- Hard Flooring – Wood or engineered wood, LVT, resilient, terrazzo, regular and large-format tile with appropriate slip resistance for flooring applications, floor pavers, quartz composite, natural or engineered stone, metal.
- Commercial & Residential Carpet – Carpets designed for commercial or residential applications, including but not limited to modular carpet tile and plank, broadloom, area rugs and hybrid woven products.
Kitchen & Bath
- Fixtures & Fittings - Kitchen – Fixtures and fittings for kitchen applications, such as faucets, taps and pot fillers, sinks, garbage disposals, water filtration systems, kitchen furniture and accessories.
- Fixtures & Fittings - Bath – Fixtures and fittings for bathroom applications, such as sink faucets and taps, tub spouts, faucet and tub filler handles and controls, sanitaryware including toilets, urinals, sinks and bathtubs; built-in elements such as shower bases and doors/enclosures. (Please submit lavatory sink cabinets into the Cabinetry & Millwork category.)
- Cabinetry & Millwork – All built-in cabinetry for kitchen and bath settings including vanity cabinets, cook island cabinets and medicine/mirrored cabinets. This category also includes entire kitchen furniture systems.
- Appliances – Including major household appliances such as refrigerators, ovens, washing machines and dishwashers, as well as small countertop appliances like coffee makers, toaster ovens and microwaves.
- Fabric & Textiles - NEW – Fabric and textile products for commercial and residential applications, including upholstery and drapery textiles, window shade fabric, outdoor and awning textiles, tensile structure textiles and room/space division textiles (such as hanging felt panels and screens).
- Contract Seating – Commercial grade seating for use in corporate, hospitality and public settings, including chairs, sofas, stools, workplace/office chairs and benches for both interior and exterior uses.
- Furniture Systems - NEW – Commercial or non-commercial grade systems, interior structures and furniture sets for use in corporate, hospitality, residential and public settings, including but not limited to: partition walls and wall panels, dividers, multi-functional and modular furniture systems, large scale shelving systems, and kiosks.
- Residential Seating – Non-commercial grade seating suited to residential settings, including dining chairs, sofas, armchairs, recliners, loveseats, accent chairs, chaise longues, lounge and club chairs, home office chairs, benches and stools.
- Residential Furniture – Non-commercial grade furniture suited to residential settings, including tables, case goods, beds and dining pieces, and home office furniture including desks and storage.
- Contract Furniture - NEW – Commercial grade furniture for use in corporate, hospitality, educational, healthcare, and other public settings. Furnishings may include individual and communal tables, desks, signage, case goods, mobile carts, shelving and other storage.
- Outdoor Furniture – Furniture and systems rated for outdoor use in all public and private settings, including benches, deck and lounge chairs, dining tables, arbors, pergolas, trellises, playground structures, planters, bins, signage, umbrellas, cabanas, outdoor kitchens, fountains and fire pits.
- Accessories – Products that lend functional and decorative details to an architectural environment. Includes bath and tabletop accessories, soft goods such as pillows and throws, table and bed linens, stemware and dishware, wall art, frames and other decorative objects.
- Contract Pendant Lighting - NEW – Commercial interior lighting in suspended form, including multi-light, inverted, downlight, drum-shade and linear pendant lights.
- Contract Recessed and Mounted Lighting - NEW – Commercial interior lighting in recessed or mounted forms, including: troffers, reflector or wall washed trims, recessed LED or OLED panels, sconces, mounted ceiling lights, track mounted lighting, and other recessed or mounted fixtures for ceilings, walls and floors.
- Decorative & Freestanding Lighting – Decorative luminaires of any scale, from distinctive wall sconces and table lamps to chandeliers and pendant clusters. Lighting for both residential and commercial uses are eligible. The diffusers, shades, housing or composition of these lights should be design objects that add to the built project.
- Exterior Lighting - NEW – Commercial and residential lighting designed for outdoor uses, including step lights, path and street lamps, landscape spotlights, external façade lights, in-ground lights and utility lights such as motion-activated parking structure lights.
- Doors & Door Hardware – Openings for entrance and egress including doors of all styles and door hardware including latches, handles, locks, hinges and pivots.
- Windows & Skylights – Openings including windows, roof windows/hatches and skylights (both fixed and operable); window and skylight hardware including latches, handles, locks, cranks, hinges and pivots.
- Shading – All shading systems and products, including both passive and active systems for regulating sunlight and solar heat gain. Exterior and interior products are eligible, including fixed and adjustable louvers, fins, baguettes, blinds and canopies. Please submit window-shade textiles into one of the Fabric & Textiles categories.
Best in Specialization
- Sustainable Design - NEW – The Sustainable Design Award celebrates products that are among the most sustainable in their field. This includes but is not limited to products that minimize or actively help reduce carbon emissions, highly energy efficient products, products that facilitate passive heating and cooling, products with a sustainable “cradle to grave” lifecycle and products that utilize locally sourced materials.
- Innovation - NEW – The Innovation Award is dedicated to products that are among the most innovative in their field. Contenders for the Innovation Award should be groundbreaking, pioneering products that set a precedent in their industry, breaking away from the conventions of their product type. Products that set a new benchmark for design and quality within their vertical stand the best chance of success in this category.
- New Materials - NEW – The New Materials Award celebrates products that harness emerging or unconventional materials to form a new exemplar in their field. Eligible products include but are not limited to: products made from technologically advanced materials and/or processes, products made from recycled or organic materials, products that cleverly repurpose salvaged materials, and products that use traditional materials in new and innovative ways.
- Designer Collaboration - NEW – The Designer Collaboration Award is dedicated to products that have been designed, developed and made a reality by a team of creative players. Eligible products include but are not limited to: collaborations between brands and architecture firms, collaborations between brands and interior designers, collaborations between brands and environmental experts, and countless other combinations.
- Flexible Design - NEW – The Flexible Design Award celebrates products whose primary quality is adjustability, flexibility or modularity. This category is open to products of all types that have a flexible element, including but not limited to: modular furniture, flexible seating, customizable wall or acoustic panels, flexible façade and glazing systems, modular storage, and customizable or modular lighting.
- Conceptual Design - NEW – The Concept Design Award celebrates all building products, furniture and materials that are in the conceptual phase, including any product that has not yet been launched to the public. Eligible products include purely conceptual works (that are not planned for realization) and under-development products that are set to be unveiled to the market in the future. Submission materials for this category may include renderings, drawings, models (digital and physical) and any other visual that communicates the design of the product.
Best in Project Type
Residential - NEW – The Residential Award celebrates the world’s best products and materials used in residential applications. This includes both realized and conceptual products of all types, including building products, furnishings and materials that are designed for use in buildings such as:
- Private residences
- Multi unit residences
- Ancillary structures such as garden studios and sheds
- Residential interiors
Commercial - NEW – The Commercial Award is dedicated to the world’s best products and materials used in commercial applications. This includes both realized and conceptual products of all types, including building products, furnishings and materials that are designed for use in buildings such as:
- Office buildings
- Office interiors
- Coworking spaces
- Shopping centers
- Pop ups & temporary commercial structures
- Mixed use buildings
- Factories & warehouses
Healthcare - NEW – The Healthcare Award celebrates the world’s best products and materials used in a healthcare setting. This includes both realized and conceptual products of all types, including building products, furnishings and materials that are designed for use in buildings such as:
- Medical centers
- Mobile or temporary healthcare facilities
Hospitality - NEW – The Hospitality Award is dedicated to the world’s best products and materials used in a hospitality setting. This includes both realized and conceptual products of all types, including building products, furnishings and materials that are designed for use in buildings such as:
- Hotels & resorts
- Bars & nightclubs
- Spa & wellness
Landscape - NEW – The Landscape Award celebrates the world’s best products and materials used in landscape architecture and outdoor spaces. This includes both realized and conceptual products of all types, including building products, furnishings and materials that are designed for use in spaces such as:
- Public outdoor spaces
- Private gardens
- Landscape master plans
Public Projects - NEW – The Public Projects Award is dedicated to the world’s best products and materials used in a public setting. This includes both realized and conceptual products of all types, including building products, furnishings and materials that are designed for use in buildings such as:
- Schools and Research Facilities
- Museums and Theaters
- Sports & Recreational Facilities
- Religious Buildings & Memorials
- Airports & Transportation Terminals
- Parking Structures
- Bridges & Other Infrastructure